Monday, October 18, 2010

Sula Group Project Analysis--- 10/7/10

My group and I discussed Toni Morrison's Sula. As a group we decided that the book lent itself well to Derridian philosophy. So we broke down the novel into four key binary relationships: Medallion City and the Bottom, Nel and Sula, The Bottom before and after Sula, and male and female gender roles. There were eight of us in the group and we decided that we would work in partners to each work on a different binary relationship.  My partner, Jenny and I worked on the binary relationship between Nel and Sula.  We each formed two questions to present to the class during the discussion.  I started our portion of the discussion with a quote from Derrida's Differance and opened the floor for the class to share their thoughts about Nel and Sula.  I found that Nel and Sula were basically complete opposites in many ways. Nel is passive and rational and Sula is aggressive, forthcoming and explicit in her intentions. These opposite personality characteristics form almost a ying and yang. There is no Sula without her relationship with Nel. And same for Nel. Neither characters can stand alone without the other. There is no moment of absolute presence for either woman. I believe their binary relationship to each other drives each one's actions at all times. 

Overall, I enjoyed the novel immensely. It was telling of black experiences during Post WWII era America. I also had a great experience with my group. I often find group projects to be more trouble than good, but I was lucky to find myself in a group that cared about the book and their grade as much I did. I had a great time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment